Sustainable living is more than something to aim for. For many, it’s a deeply engrained way of life. It starts by understanding how our lifestyle choices impact the world and finding ways to live better and lighter. As more and more people search for ways to reduce their ecological footprint and positively impact the planet, one solution within the building industry has gained significant traction, especially in recent years.
Designed and built to balance human habitation with nature's delicate ecosystems, EnviroDevelopment certified communities allow residents to embrace a greener and more sustainable lifestyle while enjoying a host of advantages that enhance their well-being.
Founded on a genuine commitment to sustainability and boasting a 6 Leaf accreditation under the EnviroDevelopment assessment framework, Rivermark is one of those communities. With a clear vision for the future, it ensures a thriving natural environment for all with a range of environmental and green initiatives integrated into the very fabric of this residential community.
But what makes an EnviroDevelopment certified community such a desirable choice for homebuyers, and what are the benefits for residents?
What is EnviroDevelopment?
EnviroDevelopment is a scientifically-based assessment scheme that independently reviews development projects and awards certification to those that achieve outstanding performance across four or more of the provided elements - including water, energy, community, materials, waste and ecosystems.
The six categories of EnviroDevelopment accreditation:
- Ecosystems: Focuses on the protection and restoration of natural ecosystems within and around the development - includes the preservation of native vegetation, the inclusion of green spaces, and implementing measures to enhance biodiversity.
- Waste: Evaluates the management and reduction of waste generated by the development - includes waste minimization strategies, recycling programs, and the use of sustainable materials and construction practices to reduce overall waste generation.
- Energy: Assesses the energy efficiency and renewable energy initiatives implemented in the development - includes using energy-efficient appliances and fixtures, incorporating renewable energy systems like solar panels, and the implementation of energy-saving design principles.
- Water: Evaluates water efficiency and management - includes water-efficient landscaping, the use of rainwater harvesting systems, the implementation of water-saving fixtures and appliances, and strategies for stormwater management.
- Materials: Examines the sustainable sourcing and use of materials in construction and development - includes using recycled or environmentally friendly building materials, responsible waste management during construction, and reducing environmental impact in the supply chain.
- Community: Considers the social and economic aspects of sustainability within the development - includes community engagement, the provision of amenities and services, public transport accessibility, and initiatives that promote social cohesion and well-being among residents.
After incorporating a range of design and construction principles into the project, Rivermark was certified in all six categories of EnviroDevelopment accreditation.
What was Rivermark's EnviroDevelopment accreditation awarded for?
Founded on a genuine commitment to sustainability, Rivermark's EnviroDevelopment accreditation came from ensuring a thriving natural environment for all and the seamless integration of environmental and green initiatives throughout the community.
BUILT FOR THE FUTURE
Rivermark incorporates a range of design and construction principles, demonstrating Hesperia’s goal to create new benchmarks in sustainable development. Comprehensive design guidelines are being implemented for homes at Rivermark, using environmentally friendly materials, such as low-carbon concrete and recycled road material in the civil and landscape works. Rivermark has also been endorsed by the Water Corporation as a Gold Waterwise Development, after achieving great outcomes in water efficiency and natural stormwater management.
COMMITMENT TO NET ZERO CARBON
With a commitment to achieving Net Zero Carbon, Rivermark features low carbon and recycled materials such as recycled concrete and brick, waste reduction targets and efficient construction methods. Grey water ready, Rivermark’s all-electric homes are powered by renewable solar energy on every rooftop, representing strategic carbon offsets.
DESIGNED FOR COMMUNITY
A vast network of public spaces, including extensive cycle and walking paths, encourage enjoyment, connection and interaction with nature. Through meticulous planning and a considered landscape design and rehabilitation approach, native flora and fauna are celebrated and nurtured, reinforcing a uniquely West Australian character and identity.
Additional sustainability plans for Rivermark include;
- Maximising tree retention and planting
- Extensive rehabilitation of natural ecosystems
- Solar energy systems for dwellings, including energy storage
- Sustainability incentives for each dwelling and waterwise landscaping.
The benefits of Living in an EnviroDevelopment Certified Community
In addition to ensuring that Rivermark is a sustainable project for generations to come, EnviroDevelopment accreditation ensures that there is genuine benefit to Homebuyers and Occupiers.
With both short and long term benefits available, life in an EnviroDevelopment Certified Community is an attractive choice for those seeking a sustainable and fulfilling lifestyle.
Living in an EnviroDevelopment Certified Community aligns individuals with their sustainability values, enhances their overall well-being, reduces their environmental footprint, and provides a sense of belonging in a like-minded community.
An EnviroDevelopment home offers homebuyers:
- Reduced operating costs.
- Eligibility for rebates and incentives.
- Enhanced marketability and property values.
- Healthier homes, workplaces and communities.
- Satisfaction with reducing your ecological footprint.
For residents it’s about an enhanced quality of life, where your health and well-being are priority. The use of sustainable building materials, proper ventilation systems, and healthy indoor air quality contribute to a healthier living environment. Access to green spaces, walking paths, and community amenities encourages an active lifestyle and fosters social interaction, which are vital for physical and mental well-being.
A sustainable way of life
With sustainability becoming increasingly important and the demand for environmentally conscious living spaces continuing to grow, buying and building in an EnviroDevelopment Certified Community can be seen as a future-proof investment.
Ready to align your lifestyle with your sustainability values? Discover Rivermark, an EnviroDevelopment certified community that offers a sustainable living experience. Learn more about our unique sustainability incentive program and begin your journey towards a future-proof investment in your well-being and our planet's health.